Bulli Hospital is on the left as you drive up Hospital Rd off the Princes Highway Bulli near to Northern Distributor intersection.
Bulli Hospital was opened over 100 years ago in 1893, and for a long time was known as Bulli Cottage Hospital. The campaign to establish the hospital began not that long after the catastrophic 1887 Bulli Coal Mine Explosion. The Disaster was the second worst industrial disaster in Australia, unfortunately only eclipsed by the Mount Kembla Coal Mine Disaster of 1902. Almost all of Bulli Hospital’s entire history seems to have been tied up in political struggles, not unlike much of Bulli’s history.
- 1888 – First action to establish Bulli Cottage Hospital – support of Colliery Managers – public meeting held
- 1890 – Mrs Organ donates land for Bulli Hospital
- 1890 – More on Mrs Organ’s donation, McKinnon land donation & Dr Clifton Sturt donates 10 pounds – Henry Fry elected President of the Board – locality “enthusiastic”
- 1891 – Funds to be raised for Bulli Hospital
- 1892 – More on Mrs Organ’s donation, Colliery proprietors subsidise donations, Government gives 500 pounds
- 1892 – A Calico Ball was held to raise funds for Bulli Cottage Hospital
- 1892 – 22 Tenders received for Bulli Hospital construction
- 1892 – Foundation Stone laid by F Woodward former Member for District
- 1892 – Construction completed
- 1893 – Bulli Hospital opened by Lady Darley accompanied by NSW Governor Sir Frederick Darley
- 1905 – 1971 – The Growth Years
- 1972 – 1988 – Threats Emerge
- 1988 – 2008 – Cuts Begin to Bite
- 2009 – 2011 – ED Hopes for March 2011
- 2011 – 2012 – ED Fears Post March 2011
To view thumbnails of old photographs of Bulli Hospital on Trove – click HERE. More recent photographs associated with Bulli Hospital are shown below.