From Dr Winifred Mitchell
This was named for the coal waste washed down from the coal min by Slacky Creek on to the company’s land. Slacky Flat was extensively used by the mining community for picnics and sports. The Sunday Schools had outings there.
The Bulli Poultry Club began its annual competitions at Slacky Flat in the 1890s. The twentieth century saw the introduction of dog racing, trotting and the annual Bulli Show. During the depression of the 1930s many unemployed workers took up residence around Slacky Flat.
The Bulli Bowling Club’s (now closed) premises occupy a section … West of Slacky Flat (were) the buildings of the mine which operated from 1862 to 1987. The other employer of labour in Bulli for most of this period was Bulli Bricks “
The bush around the Paddock (now the Slacky Flat Showground and Racecourse) became home to an increasing number of people during the 1930’s Depression – it was virtually a township of tents, also huts and humpies made of corn sacks and flattened kerosene tins – memories from William Evans, a contribution in “True North – Tales and Reminiscences – Celebrating the 2001 Centenary of Federation” – compiled by Mick Roberts with Terry Bugg, Jack Devitt, Mary Hendricks and Arthur Murray.
Further Reading :
- “True North – Tales and Reminiscences – Celebrating the 2001 Centenary of Federation” – compiled by Mick Roberts with Terry Bugg, Jack Devitt, Mary Hendricks and Arthur Murray