“New Bulli” – Hungry Hill – Bulli Railway Precinct

Under Construction

Download Hungry Hill – New Bulli Brief Heritage Trail Notes-Rev3

After the coming of the railway to Bulli in 1887, the township gradually moved southwards from its Old Bulli origins and up to Hungry Hill, around the intersection of the main road with Park Road. Initially this was known as New Bulli or New Town. An update to the Centre’s 2008 notes & Mick Roberts’ 1989 Walk around Historic Bulli Township Map – click here to view the map. Where not identified otherwise, most photographs are part of the Black Diamond Heritage Centre’s collection of Historic Photographs – many of these have been provided by Bronwen Chamberlain, a descendant of the Aston and Nicklin families, bakers from Old Bulli. At the Black Diamond Heritage Centre there are many more old photographs of the Bulli Black Diamond Districts available to be viewed. 27. Black Diamond Heritage Centre – Bulli Railway Station “down” side.

Black Diamond Heritage Centre Bulli Railway Station East

Black Diamond Heritage Centre Bulli Railway Station East

The Centre, on Franklin Avenue, occupies one of the first buildings constructed in “New” Bulli, the area to the south of Slacky Flat; nb”Old” Bulli was largely located between Chilby’s Hill north of Bulli Public School and Slacky Flat. The Centre served as the railway station from 21st June 1887. Originally the railway was a single line until 1923,when the line was duplicated for the north bound trains and a second platform was also built. In the late 1980’s, 100 years after the station had been built, the State Heritage listed 1887 eastern platform was proposed to be demolished. Public outcry, and the tireless efforts of a few individuals, led to the building being secured and turned into a museum.   In 2012, according to the NSW Government Department of Heritage and Environment, 1382084_406885902767907_1381929215_n“Bulli Railway Station is of state significance for its rare 1887 station building surviving from the first period of construction of the Illawarra line. The 1887 station building is one of the most intact of only four remaining examples of an 1880s third-class weatherboard station building along the Illawarra line, and remains as a tangible reminder of the role of Bulli Station as a transport hub for the village of Bulli since 1887. ” The Centre now houses a collection of railway and local coal mining artefacts, as well as physical and photographic exhibitions of local interest. It also features some local family history, and there are also a number of books on local history for sale. To the south of the museum, resting on the grassy knoll is a steam locomotive. It is the South Bulli No. 2 Loco; which was imported by Thomas Saywell in 1888 to be used in the mines, and was in use until the early 1960s. Click here for more details on the Centre’s exhibits.

No. 17. Bulli Mine Disaster Memorial Obelisk

1887 Bulli Mine Disaster Memorial Obelisk

1887 Bulli Mine Disaster Memorial Obelisk

At 2pm on March 23rd 1887 a horrific explosion occurred at the Bulli Mine, leaving 81 dead (including 17 boys) and 150 orphaned children. The disaster devastated the township, occurring after the miners had been on strike for around six months, and had only just returned to work. The Rector of St Augustine’s Church, who had supported the miners in their strike, was on his way back to England, but on hearing about the mine disaster, returned to Sydney to officiate over the funerals of the lost miners, the majority of whom were buried in the cemetery. There was a great show of community support in this time. Mrs Mary Ann Jones spent four days preparing the bodies for burial –  but had to fight Bulli Coal Company in the courts in order to be paid for her service. She was successful. Picture 031 The NSW Government paid for the memorial obelisk, which was designed and made by Messrs Hanson and Co. of Elizabeth St Sydney in the period 1887 – 1890. It was of brown and greyish Scottish granite, with the names of the dead listed in gold lettering. The enclosure fence was completed in 1890. Picture 034There was only one survivor of the disaster, Herbert Cope, who then went to work for his uncles (or brothers ?) in a butcher shop at Woonona. Unfortunately the uncles were killed by a boiler explosion of the steam driven sausage machine – they were buried at St Augustines also. Herbert later won the lottery and died an elderly man in Hurstville. A photograph of Herbert on his 60th wedding anniversary is held in the Centre. The Black Diamond Heritage Centre holds an exhibition of mining equipment from this period , and a collection of objects related to the 1887 Bulli Mine disaster. Photographs to the left are courtesy of Kerrie Anne Christian Further reading

No. 18. St Augustine’s Anglican Church31. St Augustine’s Anglican Graveyard -Memorial Columbarium – Wenloch School

1929 Wedding of 3rd neration Railwayman Russ Callcott to Molly Joy, whose grandfather  and brother were also Railwaymen

1929 Wedding at St Augustine’s Bulli of 3rd generation Railwayman Russ Callcott to Molly Joy, whose grandfather and brother were also Railwaymen Photograph courtesy of Kerrie Anne Christian

Picture 048

Photograph courtesy of Kerrie Anne Chistian

BDHC 1398470_412817712174726_65124161_oAfter being designed by the distinguished Sydney Architect, E.T. Blackett, St Augustine’s was opened on December 13 1882, with consecration to follow in 1884.  The cemetery was present from 1878, and until this time Protestant funerals had to be held in Wollongong, a considerable distance from Bulli. The first headstone dates back to 1878/79, and lies outside the cemetery fence to the west. Just four years from its opening, the church became the focal point for the region, following the 1887 mine disaster, as 3/4 of the miners were buried here with the service conducted by St Augustine’s Rector. Sherbrooke residents on Bulli Mountain were buried here, as the cemetery up there was close to a watercourse and so impractical. Aesthetically, the cemetery has changed considerably in recent years; and the placement of the headstones today doesn’t necessarily indicate the location of the bodies.   One of the last graves is dated in 1960.  Now a Columbarium memorial wall has been installed, and has been well taken up by the local community – including the pioneering Hicks family with two generations interred there, near to the four generations of their ancestors graves, six generations in all. There are also generations of  Chilby’s, Bartletts, Hobbs, Spinks and Floyd’s. Others include the marathon runner, Olympic and Commonwealth Games athlete Kerryn McCann, and former Wollongong Lord Mayor, Ernie Ford. The Wenloch School, operated by the Misses Bartlett, in the Parish Hall of St Augustine’s Bulli in the 1920’s, was still functioning in the 1930’s. Memories of former student William Evans are captured in “True North – Tales and Reminiscences – Celebrating the 2001 Centenary of Federation” – compiled by Mick Roberts with Terry Bugg, Jack Devitt, Mary Hendricks and Arthur Murray. Further Reading :

  • “St Augustine’s Bulli. The First One Hundred Years 1882 – 1982” – Narelle Crux
  • “Faith of Steel” – Stuart Piggin

Unnumbered Site – Granny Orton’s Store & Doctor Feneley’s Surgery. There was a small shop and residence in Park Road which continued into the 1990’s – later a hair dressing salon operated there. In recent years the original Doctor’s surgery has expanded and has incorporated the site of Granny Orton’s store. More Reading :

  • “True North – Tales and Reminiscences – Celebrating the 2001 Centenary of Federation” – compiled by Mick Roberts with Terry Bugg, Jack Devitt, Mary Hendricks and Arthur Murray

Unnumbered Site – Miners Cottages, Park Road Between the Doctor’s surgery and Stockbank House there are several small miners cottages, which remain today. 13. Stockbank House The architect for this original building, William Wardell, also designed St Mary’s Cathedral in Sydney. The building originally served as a bank in the 1880’s, which closed its doors after the colonial depression of the 1890s. In the intervening years, the building has served numerous purposes, including being an architectural office, the Bulli Shire Council Offices, a Post Office, a private dwelling, a boot repairing shop, a restaurant and a real estate office.

Former Bulli Post Office on the left before its closing with Stock Bank House to the right

Former Bulli Post Office on the left before its closing with Stock Bank House to the right

Currently it serves as an Art Framing and Gallery business. In 2008 the building was described as still retaining several of its original features, and maintains almost the same appearance as in 1888. The former Post Office is located next door to the north.

Unnumbered Site – Telegraph & Post Office The first Telegraph Office had opened at Bulli Jetty, Sandon Point in 1877, was then located with the Post Office next to Turnbull’s Store in Old Bulli from 1879, before its move next to Stock Bank House in 1907.  It was then re-located to Thirroul in 1923.  The Brick Post Office commenced on the site in 1926, where there had previously been an old miners cottage. An earlier Post Office had been located in Turnbull’s Store in Old Bulli in 1869, followed by a building next to Turnbull’s in 1879, and then at Bulli Railway Station from 1887. Postal Services ceased from the 1926 building and were provided at the Bulli Newsagency on the Main Road, prior to its own closure. Further Reading :

  • Black Diamonds – William Bayley

Unnumbered Site – Vaynor 230 Princes Highway Bulli Opposite Old Bulli Post Office The original home is still present but obscured by a masonry wall and was owned by the Evans Family – there was a General Store opposite Park Road which was run by members of the Evans Family Further Reading :

  • Greetings from Woonona Bulli – Mick Roberts

Unnumbered Site – Wisteria Cottage south of Vaynor on Princes Highway opposite Park Road Bulli This was replaced by a California Bungalow which has also been demolished and town house built in its place. Further Reading :

  • Greetings from Woonona Bulli – Mick Roberts

Unnumbered Site – Opposite the Butchers at Site No.14  – formerly Mr & Mrs Webb’s Tea Rooms

Bulli Heritage Hotel in background right side with site of the Webbs Tearooms in the foreground right.

Bulli Heritage Hotel in background right side with site of the Webbs Tearooms in the foreground right.

These were built in 1926 to replace a shop on the opposite side of the highway. They were to be a centre for arts and crafts, and a place for women to socialise whilst men drank next door at the Family Hotel (now Bulli Heritage Hotel). They were also the first place in Bulli to serve ice cream to the local residents. The Black Diamond Heritage Centre possesses an advertisement for the tearooms in its collection. The site now hosts a specialist coffee shop, Coffee and Art – returning to its earlier roots.

No. 16. Bulli Heritage Hotel – formerly known as Family Hotel Opened on September 6 1889, the Hotel was designed by architect William Kenwood, and combines Gothic, Victorian and Federation Filigree styles. Originally, the hotel consisted of 28 bedrooms, an assembly room, a dining room, a billiard room, parlours and a bar. The first licensee was George Croft, one of the wealthiest men in the region. Croft’s name was carved into a large sandstone rock on the verandah and his portrait hung behind the main bar. For the first 5 years the license was held by by William Tory Dickson, and was known to some as Dickson’s Hotel. In 1901-1910 Henry Stokes held the licencse.

Bulli Family Hotel on closing day in 1976

Bulli Family Hotel on closing day in 1976

A later licensee, Edward Cullen, later affectionately known as “Old Ted”, is believed to still be walking the halls of the hotel, after committing suicide in the upstairs bathroom in 1930, during the great depression. He was facing large debts and financial pressures. Staff reported mysterious occurrences such as missing trays of glassware, taps on the shoulder, weird sounds, and locked doors found wide open, particularly the door of the bathroom in which he died. The building was listed by the National Trust in 1976 – the year its doors were closed. In 1977 local real estate agent Eric Blain bought the hotel and restored it, enabling it to re-open after seven years. A commemorative function was held in the old assembly room in 1989, its centenary year, as part of the Back to Bulli Festival events. The hotel continues to operate and offers a live music venue. Further Reading :

  • “True North – Tales and Reminiscences – Celebrating the 2001 Centenary of Federation” – compiled by Mick Roberts with Terry Bugg, Jack Devitt, Mary Hendricks and Arthur Murray
  • “Tales from Our Streets – A Photographic History of the Illawarra” – Anne Wood

Unnumbered Site – Edinburgh House – adjacent to the Bulli Heritage Hotel on its south side. It was the home of the Downie Family – James and Margaret plus their 13 children. James was a blacksmith in the Northern Illawarra. Further Reading

  • “True North – Tales and Reminiscences – Celebrating the 2001 Centenary of Federation” – compiled by Mick Roberts with Terry Bugg, Jack Devitt, Mary Hendricks and Arthur Murray
  • “Deep Valleys, Tall Trees, Tough Men and Women” – West Hapgood, with Graeme Stuart
  • “Illawarra Pioneers Pre – 1900” – Illawarra Family History Group
  • “Illawarra Pioners Pre 1920” – Illawarra Family History Group

There are a number of old timber cottages to the south of Edinburgh House along the Princes Highway.

Unnumbered Site – Former Livery Stables two doors down from the Bulli Heritage Hotel Sylvia Mant shared in “True North” that Henry Mant took over the rundown Livery Stables two doors down from the current Bulli Heritage Hotel and Stokes Lane, after his former employer Dr Dixon retired. Sylvia Mant assisted her father Henry Mant with the running of the Livery Stable and later in their Coaching business. There had originally been an old home on the site as well as the old Livery Stables. Dr Dixon demolished the house and four houses in its place, along with a new Livery Stable. Henry Mant had worked as a groom for Dixon, and after buying the Livery Stable he ran a coach and sulky service that ran up Bulli Pass to Loddon Falls and Cataract Dam. The Mants lived at 244 Princes Highway Bulli. One of Henry Mant’s sons Fred, was apprenticed to Alex Downie as a Farrier Further reading :

  • “True North – Tales and Reminiscences – Celebrating the 2001 Centenary of Federation” – compiled by Mick Roberts with Terry Bugg, Jack Devitt, Mary Hendricks and Arthur Murray
  • Greetings from Woonona – Bulli – Mick Roberts

No.  34.  Glass & Co. Former Drapery

Glass & Co

Glass & Co

Previously Glass & Co. Drapery had been located in Old Bulli, but re-located with the emerging “New Bulli” on Hungry Hill. It is now occupied by the Black Diamond Antiques & Collectibles Business- where The cross pattern in the front tiles is still visible. Allan Upton’s Bulli Historical Art Gallery and Picture Framing is located in an adjacent building to the south of the Antiques Business. It was built in the same style, some time after the Glass Building. Allan Upton grew up in Bulli and is noted for his paintings of the local area.

No. 14. Butchers shop – formerly C R Williams and Co

Former residence and butchers since redeveloped

Former residence and butchers since redeveloped

Returning to the SE Corner Park Road and Princes Highway.These premises have operated as a butcher since it was built in the 1860’s and since 1927 until recent years has been under the Williams family’s ownership. This shop is most likely the first built in the “New” Bulli, and it is the oldest business remaining. The shop possessed the first cool-room on the South Coast, which was brought in by train from Sydney in 1927. Originally the retail area of the building was in the area of the shop to the south, indicated later by the later overhanging green “Butcher” sign. The current customer area on the corner, was originally the site for a home. The former residential dwelling that stood there was demolished, and the ground excavated in 1997, the excavation revealing 1 wooden and 2 brick wells. The handmade bricks from these wells were made at the East Woonona Brickworks by a convict, and were stamped with a heart as a  signature. These bricks nonw feature on either side of the entrance to the shop. However the C R Williams Butcher shop frontage still remains.

No.  15. Historic Shops including  I.V. Miners General Store  & original site of Bunkers Shell Service Station, Commonwealth Bank, Bulli Times Newspaper. Bulli Billiard Saloon opposite Bulli Heritage Hotel

Bulli 1997 - Bunkers Garage was located at the Auto Spares store

Bulli 1997 – Bunkers Garage was located at the Auto Spares store – photo courtesy of Back in Time, Photos from the Illawarra on Facebook

Opposite Bulli HotelSouth of the Bulli Billiard Saloon are I V Miners General Store now Bakery, the original site of Bunkers Service Station now Antiques; Bulli Times Newspaper.

Bulli Times on Main Rd Bulli - courtesy of Lorna Chibly - Back in Time Photos from the Illawarra on Facebook

Bulli Times on Main Rd Bulli – courtesy of Lorna Chilby – Back in Time Photos from the Illawarra on Facebook

 

 

Further Reading :

  • Greetings from Woonona Bulli – Mick Roberts

No. 29. Old Railway Guesthouse – dating from 1886 and operated by Roger Heard and wife Sarah (nee Cavill). An earlier smaller premises dated from the late 1870’s, and the larger 1886 premises was used as a guesthouse for decades later.

No. 27. Bulli Railway Station

10001288_477481015708395_2064740064_nThe Railway Station was built in 1887, when the Railway connected from Clifton to Wollongong, and finally Sydney to North Kiama in 1888. It represented a huge change for Bulli as the township slowly moved closer to the station from the former location north of Slacky Flat. The people from Sherbrooke would bring their products down the mountain to the Railway Station and then transport them to Sydney and onto overseas. The Eastern platform was the original building and the line was single until it was duplicated in 1923 and the Western platform was built. The overhead bridge at Bulli Railway Station was opened in August, 1927, the day after an accident had occurred at the level crossing, in which a man was killed. Notably, in 1954, the station hosted the Royal Train, when Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh, visited Slacky Flat before returning to Sydney. The museum holds photographs of this occasion in its collection. The Railway is essential to the Heritage of Bulli, critical to the formation of the township and its development, and the Railway Precinct lies in the centre of the town’s conservation area. In 2012, according to the NSW Government Department of Heritage and Environment,

“Bulli Railway Station is of state significance for its rare 1887 station building surviving from the first period of construction of the Illawarra line. The 1887 station building is one of the most intact of only four remaining examples of an 1880s third-class weatherboard station building along the Illawarra line, and remains as a tangible reminder of the role of Bulli Station as a transport hub for the village of Bulli since 1887. The 1923 station building and lamp room demonstrate the expansion of railway activity at Bulli into the early 20th century associated with duplication of the line during the 1920s.

The juxtaposition of the 1887 and 1923 platform buildings demonstrate the evolution of railway station architecture during this period, and are both excellent examples of their periods and style. The site has special associations with the staff and volunteers of the Black Diamond District Heritage Centre, located in the central section of the 1887 station building, who continue to be instrumental in the on-going preservation and interpretation of the site”

Postal services were also provided at Bulli Railway Station from 1887 until 1926, when they were transferred to the brick building next to Stock Bank House.

Unnumbered – The Station Masters Cottage – S E Corner of Park Road & Railway St Bulli Was built in 1885 as a freestanding Victorian residence, with 4 bedrooms and 5 fireplaces. Its primary function was to provide residence for the Station Master of the time, a position which earned them a prominent and respected place in the township. Then continue over the bridge to return to the Black Diamond Museum and Heritage Centre; or continue east along Park Road past the former St Augustines Rectory (Site 36). On the southside were miners cottages, and on the north side were the 1930’s “substantial gentlemen’s residences” built for mine managers, doctors and other professional people, and on eastwards to St Joseph’s Catholic Church and School  …

No. 37. Bon Accord Guesthouse 60 Park Road, opposite Bulli Park A guesthouse was run by Mrs A. S. Artis around the late 19th Century and remains today as a private home. Further Reading :

  • Greetings from Woonona Bulli – Mick Roberts

No. 36 Former Anglican Rectory No. 35 Former Home of Samuel Kirton – corner of NW corner Rowan St and Park Road – Bulli Samuel Kirton had operated the Black Diamond Hotel in Old Bulli

Nos. 38. & 19. St Joseph’s Catholic School, Church  & Convent – NE corner of Rowan St and Park Rd Bulli From the early 1880s, St Joseph’s Catholic Church and School were located at Slacky Flat (Site 28). The parish priest, Father John Dunne, pursued the establishment of St Joseph’s Catholic Church in Park Road, which opened in 1900 down Park Road to the east of St Augustine’s Anglican Church – and the convent opened in 1904.  In 1987 the church was extensively modernised, but the convent where the Sisters of St Joseph lived was then still essentially unchanged. According to Dr W Mitchell, the School the school relocated to Park Rd in 1906, and Dr Stuart Piggin indicates that a new school building was opened in 1924 by Cardinal Moran. The Bulli Parish extended from Corrimal to Helensburgh, and previously the previous Catholic Church had been located at Slacky Flat, after services commencing in the home of Patrick and Ann Farraher at Holymount Rixons Pass Woonona as far back as the 1860’s.   Further Reading :

    • “True North – Tales and Reminiscences – Celebrating the 2001 Centenary of Federation” – compiled by Mick Roberts with Terry Bugg, Jack Devitt, Mary Hendricks and Arthur Murray
    • “More Tales from Our Streets” – Anne Wood
    • “Faith of Steel” – Stuart Piggin

No. 40. Bulli Park – Drilling at the Rotunda of German Guns at Four Phoenix Palms Jack Devitt recalls men and youths being drilled at this location in the early 1920’s, and that it might have been compulsory. This aligns with research by Kerrie Christian about an uncle, Harry Hicks, conducting compulsory drill practice after his WWI years; and also that Harry’s father, Captain H T Hicks Snr, Captain of the Bulli Reserve Rifles, had been a trustee for Bulli Park in the late 19th Century years. Jack also recalls a drill hall on Park Rd opposite the rotunda, plus  rifle range in the valley between Park Road and Point St where their targets were in the sand dunes. Further Reading :

    • “True North – Tales and Reminiscences – Celebrating the 2001 Centenary of Federation” – compiled by Mick Roberts with Terry Bugg, Jack Devitt, Mary Hendricks and Arthur Murray

Click for Back to the Bulli Heritage Trails Main Page

A Walk around historic Bulli Township

A Walk around historic Bulli Township in 1989 – note changes have occurred since – Northern Distributor extension near Molloy St – Farrell Rd;  and Tramway Bridge modified for a pedestrian overhead bridge since then.

These are only a few of the photographs available at the Black Diamond Heritage Centre – there are many more old photographs of the Bulli Black Diamond Districts available to be viewed.

  1. Bulli Public School, established in 1869 – an 1882 monument to Governor Macquarie
  2. Former site of the Railway Hotel (Bulli Village’s first licensed coaching inn est. 1870). Now Wollongong City Council’s Northern Works Depot driveway
  3. Former site of the Star of the Sea Hotel est 1879, Jehovahs Witness Kingdom Hall
  4. Former site of the Black Diamond Hotel and the Bulli Assembly Rooms (part of the building still standing in 1989). Established 1876
  5. Former Denmark Hotel, est 1877. Brick front added 1886. The district’s only remaining coaching inn – 5 a.  Historic stables that serviced the coaches during the 1870s
  6. 1860s coal miners cottage
  7. Uniting Church (formerly Methodist) 1865
  8. Former bakers store
  9. Site of former Mine Manager’s residence – demolished in 1989
  10. Historic War Memorial
  11. Bulli Pioneer Monument
  12. Former Bulli Post Office 1922
  13. Stockbank House 1888
  14. Former historic butcher’s shop – since redeveloped internally but facade remains
  15. Historic shops
  16. Bulli Heritage Hotel, formerly Family Hotel 1889
  17. Bulli Mine Disaster Monument 1888
  18. St Augustine’s Anglican Church 1882
  19. St Joseph’s Catholic Church 19004
  20. Site of former Bulli Township Information Centre (demolished for Northern Distributon)
  21. Site of former Primitive Methodist Church 1880s
  22. Bulli Shire Council former Chambers and former Bulli Library 1922
  23. Bulli Fire Station
  24. Site of former Bulli Courthouse 1886 and Police Station
  25. Site of former Bulli Colliery established 1863 – closed 1987
  26. Monument to the old Bulli coal jetty
  27. Bulli Railway Station and Black Diamond Heritage Centre museum
  28. Site of former Catholic Church 1880s
  29. Former Railway Boarding House c.1886
  30. Site of former Ocean View Boarding House c.1886
  31. St Augustine’s Anglican Church Historic Gravestones from 1878 to 1960-  now accepting only ashes into the Columbarium Wall. Over 60 of the 81 miners who perished in the 1887 Bulli Mine disaster are buried here
  32. Former Historic walk (1989) route  along old Bulli Mine  railway to cokeworks & Jetty. Sit
  33. Site of Historic residence
  34. Former Glass Drapery Store
  35. Former residence of Samuel Kirton – one of Bulli’s Pioneers
  36. Former Anglican Manse (Rectory)
  37. Former Boarding House
  38. Original school – St Joseph’s – 1920’s
  39. Federation houses – some had been restored in 1989 – but the extension of the Northern Distributor meant that Farrell Rd was cut in two and some of these old homes were lost – several still remain on the Western half of Farrell Rd
  40. Four phoenix palms in Bulli Park mark the spot of the old Bulli War Memorial – is now part of Arthur Osborne (former Bulli High School Captain) Memorial Grove

One Response to “New Bulli” – Hungry Hill – Bulli Railway Precinct

  1. Pingback: A Walk around the Bulli Railway Station Heritage Precinct in Bulli | Black Diamond Heritage Centre – Bulli Railway

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s