The old Bulli Shire Council Chambers, old Bulli Court House, Police Station, Fire Station and old Ambulance Station lie to the southern end of Bulli, bordering the boundary with the next town of Woonona. Bulli Hospital is to the west of the old Ambulance in Hospital Road. The Bulli Workers Club set up by Municipal Workers and the former Oddfellows Hall (now Masonic Temple) is also located in this precinct.
Notes to follow on these sites …
Unnumbered Site – Williams Undertaker
W J Williams Undertaker was located further south along Princes Highway from Bulli Heritage Hotel ie on corner of Organs Road and Princes Highway. Williams had operated in Bulli from 1915, and were taken over by Parsons in 1951. From 1888 until 1915 J Myles Builder & Undertaker had operated in Bulli, but it is not yet certain if Myles also operated from same premises where Parsons are today.
Unnumbered Site – Between W. J. Williams and Bulli Masonic Hall
There was a small stone cottage belonging to the Jones Family, formerly of Sherbrooke – which was located on the vacant block on the north side of the Bulli Masonic Hall – which was demolished in 1983 approximately. Robert Jones was born there, later he operated a saw mill on Bulli Pass, and developed a substantial collection of photographs of Bulli and Sherbrooke. These were passed to his granddaughter, Sandra Jones, and also Michael Organ arranged for many to be placed in the University of Wollongong Library Archives. Sandra has kindly shared a number of photographs of the collection via “Back in Time, Photos from the Illawarra”on Facebook
Unnumbered Site – Former Oddfellows Hall
The Oddfellows Hall was built in 1885, and was the site of the inquiry into the 1887 Bulli Mine Disaster, and also meetings in 1888- 1890 to support the creation of a Cottage Hospital in Bulli. It became the Bulli Masonic Temple in 1918, and was the location of a public meeting in 2012, for the retention of the Bulli Hospital Emergency Department – where 600 residents attended. Further Reading :
- “Black Diamonds” William Bayley
No. Ocean View Guesthouse Bulli.
Ocean View was located south of W J Williams Undertaker and was only demolished in early 2014, by Roads and Maritime Services, in anticpation of a further northern extension of the Northern Distributor. It had been built in 1886 and had been expected to take advantage of the completion of the South Coast Railway. The verandah with its decorative iron lace had long been removed. It had been used by the Salvation Army for an Op Shop but was largely unutilised for many years. Further Reading :
- Greetings from Woonona – Bulli – Mick Roberts
Bulli Cottage Hospital – Hospital Rd Bulli
To the south of the Ocean View Guest House site and west along Hospital lies the Bulli Hospital built as the Bulli Cottage Hospital, by John Myles, Builder and Undertaker, with the “Father of Bulli”, H S Fry as President of the Hospital Committee. The hospital was funded by miners’ subscriptions and the mine management. There was a campaign underway from 1888 to establish the hospital, with construction taking place in 1892, and the official opening in 1893. The hospital has been the focus of many political struggles over its 120 year history, Further Reading :
- Save Bulli ED web site
Unnumbered Site E F Williamson Hairdresser and Tobacconist Princes Highway No. opposite Hospital Road
Left photo shows the former hairdresser and tobacconist, which was later a picture framing business. A florist, furniture business and Bulli Township committee were all located in these shops. Also from David Matthews, who opened the Gordon & Smith Surf Shop in 1969 in the old “Maison Jeannette” frock shop opposite the Hospital Rd & Princes Highway intersection ie next door but one to Bill & Beryl Corbetts Fruit Shop. George & Helen Nielson (nee Marshall) an electrical shop next door. The old two storey house at the top above the 3 girls in the photo, was across the road from the Surf Shop. This group of shops was demolished to make way for the extension of the Northern Distributor. Further Reading :
- Greetings from Woonona – Bulli – Mick Roberts
Unnumbered Site Molloys Timber, Molloy St Bulli The Molloy family originally lived in Sherbrooke, and walked down from Bulli Mountain to the Bulli Uniting Church and back each weekend. Later they moved to Campbell Street Woonona. Unfortunately their furniture shop near to Davidson’s in Woonona was burnt down, and then they set up Molloy’s Timber, complete with a steam driven saw mill, which is where Cavions Scrap Metal later located. Timber was supplied from Sherbrooke over Bulli Mountain and also from Tomerong . Later they closed the Mill and operated a Timber Distribution across the road from their original site. The business was closed in mid 2013 – via Mick Roberts – Looking Back. Further Reading :
- “True North – Tales and Reminiscences – Celebrating the 2001 Centenary of Federation” – compiled by Mick Roberts with Terry Bugg, Jack Devitt, Mary Hendricks and Arthur Murray
29. Former Old Bulli Railway Guest House The Old Bulli Railway Guest House comprises a 2 storey brick building, with some additions, including a wooden single story wing, and dates from the construction of the Illawarra Railway line in 1887. Owned by Roger and Sarah Heard, a smaller guesthouse stood on the site from 1877, until the construction of the large building in 1887 that still stands today. Following the Bulli mine disaster of 1887, in which the Heards lost several relatives, the section of the railway line from Clifton to Wollongong opened. Following the opening, the Governor General visited Bulli station and was served a meal onboard the dignatory train, which was cooked by Sarah. As a show of gratitude, he later attended the guesthouse to thank her. Roger Heard died on the 23rd of June 1911, and Sarah continued to run the boarding house until her death in December 1927. The building stayed in the family and remained as a guesthouse for many years. In 1989 the building was reported as due for restoration as part of the development occurring in the surrounding area. Further Reading :
- Michael Organ – Notes