40. Bulli Park – Military Drilling at the former Rotunda of German Guns at the Four Phoenix Palms
North – West of the main Bulli Beach also known as Waniora Point.
Jack Devitt recalls men and youths being drilled at this location in the early 1920’s, and that it might have been compulsory. This aligns with research by Kerrie Christian about an uncle, Harry Hicks, conducting compulsory drill practice after his WWI years; and also that Harry’s father, Captain H T Hicks Snr, Captain of the Bulli Reserve Rifles, had been a trustee for Bulli Park in the late 19th Century years.
Jack also recalls a drill hall on Park Rd opposite the rotunda, plus rifle range in the valley between Park Road and Point St where their targets were in the sand dunes.
Further Reading :
- “True North – Tales and Reminiscences – Celebrating the 2001 Centenary of Federation” – compiled by Mick Roberts with Terry Bugg, Jack Devitt, Mary Hendricks and Arthur Murray
Continuing to the south along the beachfront …
Unnumbered Site – Bulli Surf Life Saving Club
Although Bulli Surf Life Saving Club’s building experienced a catastrophic fire, and the building has been replaced, the Club itself has celebrated its Centenary in 1913. A centenary commemorative book is soon to be released.
Continuing to the south along the beachfront past the camping and caravan park ..
Bulli General Cemetery
This cemetery was opened in 1890 and continues to function.
Captain Cook Memorial Plaque
Further south at Kurraba Rd, Collins Point Woonona, there is a plaque that commemorates Captain James Cook’s attempted landing in April 1770 at the Collins Creek estuary. Both Bulli and Woonona residents claim Captain Cook’s attempted landing – although the whole area was known as Bulli well into the 19th Century.