Back in 1989, Mick Roberts created a map for the heritage areas across Bulli, and then in 2008 a smaller guide to the Bulli Station heritage precinct was created. So it’s time to update them, and below is some quick information, and for full details click here.
27. Black Diamond Heritage Centre – Bulli Railway Station “down” side.
The Centre served as the railway station from 21st June 1887. Originally the railway was a single line until 1923,when the line was duplicated for the north bound trains and a second platform was also built … In 2012, according to the NSW Government Department of Heritage and Environment, “Bulli Railway Station is of state significance for its rare 1887 station building surviving from the first period of construction of the Illawarra line. The 1887 station building is one of the most intact of only four remaining examples of an 1880s third-class weatherboard station building along the Illawarra line, and remains as a tangible reminder of the role of Bulli Station as a transport hub for the village of Bulli since 1887. ”
Click here for more details on the Centre’s exhibits
17. Bulli Mine Disaster Memorial Obelisk
At 2pm on March 23rd 1887 a horrific explosion occurred at the Bulli Mine, leaving 81 dead (including 17 boys) and 150 orphaned children. The NSW Government paid for the memorial obelisk, which was designed and made by Messrs Hanson and Co. of Elizabeth St Sydney in the period 1887 – 1890. It was of brown and greyish Scottish granite, with the names of the dead listed in gold lettering. The Black Diamond Heritage Centre holds an exhibition of mining equipment from this period , and a collection of objects related to the 1887 Bulli Mine disaster.
18. St Augustine’s Anglican Church & 31. St Augustine’s Anglican Graveyard -Memorial Columbarium
After being designed by the distinguished Sydney Architect, E.T. Blackett, St Augustine’s was opened on December 13 1882, with consecration to follow in 1884. The first headstone in the graveyard dates back to 1878/79, and lies outside the cemetery fence to the west. Just four years from its opening, the church became the focal point for the region, following the 1887 mine disaster, where most of the victims were buried.
13. Stockbank House
The architect for this original building, William Wardell, also designed St Mary’s Cathedral in Sydney. The building originally served as a bank in the 1880′s, which closed its doors after the colonial depression of the 1890s. In the intervening years, the building has served numerous purposes, including being an architectural office, the Bulli Shire Council Offices, a Post Office, a private dwelling, a boot repairing shop, a restaurant, a real estate office and art gallery.
14. Butchers shop – formerly C R Williams and Co
These premises have operated as a butcher since it was built in the 1860′s and since 1927 until recent years has been under the Williams family’s ownership. This shop is most likely the first built in the “New” Bulli, and it is the oldest business remaining.
Unnumbered Site – Opposite the Butchers at Site No.14 – formerly Mr & Mrs Webb’s Tea Rooms
These were built in 1926 to replace a shop on the opposite side of the highway. They were to be a centre for arts and crafts, and a place for women to socialise whilst men drank next door at the Family Hotel (now Bulli Heritage Hotel). They were also the first place in Bulli to serve ice cream to the local residents.
16. Bulli Heritage Hotel – formerly known as Family Hotel
Opened on September 6 1889, the Hotel consisted of 28 bedrooms, an assembly room, a dining room, a billiard room, parlours, and a bar. A later licensee, affectionately known as “Old Ted”, is believed to still be walking the halls of the hotel, after committing suicide in the upstairs bathroom in 1930, during the great depression. He was facing large debts and financial pressures.The building was listed by the National Trust in 1976 – the year its doors were closed. In 1977 local real estate agent Eric Blain bought the hotel and restored it, enabling it to re-open after seven years, and now it is offers live music.
27. Bulli Railway Station
The Railway Station was built in 1887, when the Railway connected from Clifton to Wollongong, and finally Sydney to North Kiama in 1888. It represented a huge change for Bulli as the township slowly moved closer to the station from the former location north of Slacky Flat. The Eastern platform was the original building and the line was single until it was duplicated in 1923 and the Western platform was built. In 2012, according to the NSW Government Department of Heritage and Environment,
The 1887 station building is one of the most intact of only four remaining examples of an 1880s third-class weatherboard station building along the Illawarra line, and remains as a tangible reminder of the role of Bulli Station as a transport hub for the village of Bulli since 1887. The 1923 station building and lamp room demonstrate the expansion of railway activity at Bulli into the early 20th century associated with duplication of the line during the 1920s.
The juxtaposition of the 1887 and 1923 platform buildings demonstrate the evolution of railway station architecture during this period, and are both excellent examples of their periods and style. The site has special associations with the staff and volunteers of the Black Diamond District Heritage Centre, located in the central section of the 1887 station building, who continue to be instrumental in the on-going preservation and interpretation of the site”
Unnumbered – The Station Masters Cottage – S E Corner of Park Road & Railway St Bulli
Was built in 1885 as a freestanding Victorian residence, with 4 bedrooms and 5 fireplaces. Its primary function was to provide residence for the Station Master of the time, a position which earned them a prominent and respected place in the township.
Then return to the Black Diamond Heritage Centre at the eastern platform of Bulli Railway Station.